Mediterranean food is always my go-to when I am craving something healthy and refreshing. This is a simple and healthy dish that you can pack for lunch throughout the week or serve as a side dish.
Bonus – it is gluten and dairy free, packed with protein and lots of veggies. By substituting the chicken broth for vegetable broth it is also a great vegan option.
Prep Time: 15 min / Cook Time: 20 min / Servings: 6 people
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 2 cup chicken broth (you can substitute with vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Rinse quinoa and strain.
- Heat saucepan over medium/high heat; add quinoa and chicken broth.
- When the chicken broth starts to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook according to the package directions – typically around 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop all the veggies (cucumber, red onion, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes) and set aside.
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans. Set aside.
- Chop all herbs (mint, parsley, and cilantro) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk.
- When the quinoa is finished cooking, fluff with a fork and add directly to the bowl with the dressing. Mix.
- Add the vegetables and herbs. Mix.
- Serve or chill in the refrigerator. I prefer it cold. Enjoy!